Whether in the form of corporate annual reports, instruction manuals, or government forms, there are millions of PDF documents in the internet jungle. In terms of quality they often leave much to be desired, as their formatting prevents the use of screen-readers for those with visual impairments.
To address this problem, the ICT-Accessibility Lab at InIT/ZHAW has developed two plug-ins for MS Word and PowerPoint. These plug-ins help web publishers detect and remove the obstacles of MS Word and PowerPoint documents, without requiring any special knowledge on accessibility. Once obstacles are removed, the MS Word and PowerPoint documents can then be easily converted into PDF documents that are accessible to visually impaired users. These plug-ins have been developed for Credit Suisse AG. They are available in four languages (E / F / G / I) for MS Word and PowerPoint 2010-2016, and can be downloaded and used free of charge.
Plugin for MS Word
Plugin for MS PowerPoint
The Accessibility plug-ins are being implemented for MS Word and PowerPoint 2010-2016.
- Download following files:
- Click to open the downloaded file and run "setup.exe"
- Missing packages will be installed automatically (see FAQ for system requirements)
- You will now have a new menu tab "Accessibility" ( or "Barrierefreiheit" etc. depending on the language of MS Office) with the options shown above
- To open the AddIn user manual just click on Help in the new tab
- Word Accessibility AddIn user manual (PDF, 803 KB)
- PowerPoint Accessibility AddIn user manual (PDF, 802 KB)